Last changed: 26 July 2015
1. Download and install IDL package for your computer (from ExelisVis) (if you do not have it already installed on your computer)
NB website as of 13-Jun-2013 is
To get to the download page, you need to have an account with ExelisVis
Details for the IDL Virtual Machine can be found here
2. Download the appropriate aXis2000 package - see
3. Extract (unzip) all contents to c:\aXis2000 (Windows)
or /Users/aXis2000 (Mac OS X)
Note: If you use a folder other than c:\aXis2000 or /Users/aXis2000 there may be problems running the code.
Do NOT use folder names with blanks in the
A common problem is to put aXis2000 in 'My Documents' or in 'Program Files'
4. set up a way to launch aXis2000
For MacIntosh (OS X) - please follow the instructions at the link
for Windows machines
5. make a desktop icon for IDL Virtual Machine
6. Change the properties of that Desktop icon to the
7. On many later Windows operating systems (later versions of XP, Vista and Windows7) , a DLL file needed for the VM version to execute is not provided so the IDL VM will not start. This file is called MSVCR70.dll. You can download it here. Put it in the c:windows\system32 folder.
CAUTION: a number of functions that work fine in the full version
of IDL, do not work in the IDL Virtual machine execution of the compiled
code (aXis2000.sav). There is a file called SAV-run-problems.txt in
axis2000 folder which lists known problems. Let me know if you find
© 2015 A.P. Hitchcock / McMaster University
- All Rights Reserved