Last changed: 26 Jun 2019
1. Download and install IDL for your computer (if you do not have it already installed on your computer)
NB as of Sep 2018, the owner of IDL is Harris Geospatial
IDL webpage (promo): https://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Software-Technology/IDL
You need to register and then you can access the download page from
You should download all of IDL and install following the instructions supplied by Harris Geospatial.
2. Download the appropriate aXis2000 package - see
3. Extract (unzip) all contents to c:\aXis2000 (Windows)
or /Users/aXis2000 (Mac OS X)
Note: If you use a folder other than c:\aXis2000 or /Users/aXis2000 there may be problems running the code.
Do NOT use folder names with blanks in the
A common problem is to put aXis2000 in 'My Documents'
or in 'Program Files'
4. set up a way to launch aXis2000
For MacIntosh (OS X) - please follow the instructions at the link
for Windows machines
5. make a desktop icon for IDL Virtual Machine
6. Change the properties of that Desktop icon to the
7. On many Windows operating systems (later versions of XP, Vista, Windows7; not encountered this problem with Windows 8 or Windows 10) , a DLL file needed for the VM version to execute is not provided so the IDL VM will not start. This file is called MSVCR70.dll. You can download it here. Put it in the c:windows\system32 folder.
CAUTION: a number of functions that work fine in the full version
of IDL, do not work in the IDL Virtual machine execution of the compiled
code (aXis2000.sav). There is a file called SAV-run-problems.txt in
axis2000 folder which lists known problems. Let me know if you find
© 2019 A.P. Hitchcock / McMaster University
- All Rights Reserved